Packing your hospital bag ahead of time is absolutely essential. It should be completely packed and ready by your 36th week, at the latest, because you can never be too sure when the baby decides to make his/her way to you. Your hospital bag should be well equipped with things that you will need as well as those your newborn may need.
Many hospitals will provide you with a checklist beforehand so do go through it carefully just so you are aware of what the hospitals will arrange for you and what you will need to put together yourself.
Essentials for you
- Any important documents: NIC, insurance, registration forms
- Change of clothes, for leaving the hospital: Make sure they are loose so they don’t irritate any stitches
- Disposable, mesh underwear
- Nursing bras, or comfortable bras if you are choosing to formula feed
- Hair ties or clips, hairbrush/comb
- Comfortable slippers: Some hospitals in Pakistan provide you with easy-to-wear crocs, so you may not need to pack your own slippers
- Socks, it can get a little cold in the labor room
- Mobile phone and charger
- Reading material to pass the time or anything to entertain yourself, like a tablet
- Toiletries: shampoo, conditioner, lotion, toothbrush, toothpaste, face wash, perfume, etc.
- Cash: keep some cash in change, just in case
- Maternity pads: Your hospital might provide you with these so just confirm beforehand
- Nursing pillow
Essentials for the baby
- 3 pairs of clothes for each day in the hospital. Opt for full-bodied onesies as they ensure that the baby is well covered
- If its winter time, pack warm clothes and an extra blanket for when you are leaving the hospital
- Baby toiletries: baby shampoo, body wash, lotion
- Burp Cloths
Good luck, it’s just the beginning of an amazing journey!
Keep coming back to HamaraBacha for expert advice and support from thousands of moms like yourself.